Macaroni and Cheese
Today I am sharing a classic comfort food. Creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese! This recipe is so easy to make because you can make it in one pot and right on the stovetop. For me, macaroni and cheese is a walk down memory lane. I remember my sister and I would love the boxed mac and cheese that my mom would make for us. But this recipe is so many times better than the boxed version because: 1) It’s homemade, 2) It has more flavor, 3) It’s definitely more creamy and cheesy.
It’s important to use a good quality cheese since most of the flavor comes from the cheese. I like to use Sargento Chedder Cheese, but you can use which ever you prefer. Another tip for added flavor is to shred the cheese yourself instead of the pre-shredded kind. I adapted this particular recipe from Recipetineats “Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese” and it is super yummy! I like to serve this macaroni and cheese with some mashed potatoes and broccoli florets or as a side with Breaded Chicken Cutlets (Checkout my Lunch Recipes for this). Enjoy!
Directions0/0 steps made
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Then, add flour and cook it for about 1 minute.
- Add the garlic powder or fresh garlic and cook it for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 3/4 cup of milk and stir it into the butter and flour until it’s all well combined. TIP: It might seem lumpy in the beginning, but keep stirring until all the lumps go away.
- Add the remaining milk and stir. Then, add the water, salt and pepper, paprika powder, and finally the macaroni into the pan. Keep stirring until wisps of heat start coming from the mixture. Lower the heat to medium low.
- Cook the macaroni for 9-10 minutes, stirring every once in a while, or until the macaroni is cooked. Allow the sauce to mostly dry up.
- Turn off the heat and add in the shredded cheddar cheese and mix until the cheese is melted. Serve at once!