Today, I am sharing a delicious tandoori chicken recipe. When making tandoori chicken, you first start off with marinating the chicken in a yogurt and spice marinade for about a day before roasting it in the oven. The chicken has to marinate for at least 24 hours so that all the flavors can develop. Traditionally, tandoori chicken is roasted in a tandoor or a clay oven and this gives a crispy texture to the chicken. This recipe can be easily made in a regular oven and you can get the delicious crispy texture by placing the chicken under a hot broiler.
There is some prep work that goes into this recipe, so its best to start a day before you actually want to serve this dish. There are many spices that go into the masala (marinade) which help give the tandoori chicken a lot of flavor. If you want to adjust the spice level in this recipe, simply decrease the amount of chili powder. Otherwise, all the other spices are not spicy so you should leave their quantities as is. Also, if you want your tandoori chicken to have its well known red color, you can add a few drops of red food coloring.
Serve this tandoori chicken hot or cold along with naan and chutney. Great with salads as well. Enjoy! Leave a comment below of your favorite baked chicken recipes!
Directions0/0 steps made
- Clean the chicken by removing the skin and then wash and dry the chicken. Take each piece of chicken and make a couple of slits in the meat with a sharp knife.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and add the lemon juice and salt. Rub the salt and lemon juice all over the chicken, making sure to get into the slits as well. Then, cover the bowl and leave the chicken in a cool place for about an hour.
- While you let the chicken stand, you can prepare the marinade. Take the cloves, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and cardamom seeds and place them on a sheet pan. Roast the dry spices in a preheated oven at 400°F for 10-15 minutes. Then remove from the oven and let the seeds cool down. Once they are cool, grind the spices coarsely using a mortar and pestle. TIP: You can also dry roast the spices in a pan. Simply place all the spices mentioned in a frying pan and roast them over medium heat until fragrant. Then grind them once they cool down.
- Place the onions, garlic, and ginger into a blender or a food processor along with the chili powder, black pepper, and turmeric powder. Also, add in the yogurt, ground roasted spices, and lemon juice strained from the chicken. Once all the ingredients are added in, blend them until if forms a smooth thick paste. TIP: If you want the chicken to have a reddish color, then add a few drops of food coloring before blending.
- Take the chicken pieces and place them in a large roasting pan in a single layer without any overlaps. Then, pour the marinade on top and make sure you cover all the pieces. Cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 24 hours. Turn the chicken pieces every 4-6 hours.
- Once the chicken is marinated, cook the chicken in a preheated oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes. Then place the chicken under a hot broiler for about 5-10 minutes until it is crisp. Serve hot or cold as is with some salad, naan, or rice. TIP: The internal temperature of chicken should reach 165°F.
Storage: You can store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.