Today I am sharing a flavorful and spicy achari chicken recipe. This achari chicken is filled with achari flavor that comes mainly from the fenugreek seeds, black onion seeds, and fennel seeds. You can even add in some pickled achar for extra achari flavor, but this is optional.
You start this achari chicken in the same way as you cook a normal chicken korma. Like a chicken korma, you don’t need to add any tomatoes. Onions, ginger and garlic, yogurt, and spices are the main ingredients aside from the chicken of course. First, you start off with frying the onions until golden brown. Then, you add the chicken and ginger garlic paste and fry them further. Once the chicken changes color, you can add the basic spices and yogurt. In the directions below, I have listed out all the steps along with the approximate amount of time each step takes. The achari spices are added at the end and cooked on low under steam. This also allows the chicken to cook fully.
You can enjoy this achari chicken with rice or alongside chapati or naan. Enjoy!
Directions0/0 steps made
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions to the pan and fry them until they become golden brown in color.
- Add the cut chicken pieces into the pan along with the ginger and garlic paste. Then fry over medium-high flame for another 5-6 minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes of frying, add the salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, paprika powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder to the pan. Add half of the green chili peppers as well. Mix everything well and continue to fry for another 5-6 minutes. TIP: You can leave the green chili peppers whole and slit them or chop them finely for added spice. Reduce the number of green chilies and red chili powder if you don’t prefer too much spice.
- Add the plain yogurt and stir to combine it well. Keep frying the chicken until the water from the yogurt dries up and the oil is visible from the sides. This should take another 5-6 minutes.
- Add the remaining green chilis whole or slitted, fenugreek seeds, black onion seeds, and fennel seeds to the pan and mix well. If you want to add extra achari flavor, you can add the prepared pickled achar. Decrease the heat to low and cook under steam 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. TIP: Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Place the cooked achari chicken in a serving platter and garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves and serve with rice and homemade chapatis.
Storage: You can store this achari chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.